Happy Cinco De Mayo! I hope you’re celebrating by staying calm, cool and collected. Or maybe you’re going to party hard! I don’t personally celebrate, so today I’m going to take it easy and tend to my stress levels a bit.
We’ve all got a routine we live by for the most part, unless you’re the spontaneous type. We’ve got so much work to do and such little time to do it. It’s painfully easy to stress ourselves out and, sometimes, we accidentally bring it home with us. It’s important to have an off switch. It’s important to care for yourself and take a break!
1. After work is done, turn your computer completely off. Staying connected all the time is probably what’s winding you up in the first place! If they really need you, they’ll call! Give your brain a rest, my friend. It’s too easy to end up overstimulated.
2. Lower the lights, cuddle with your pets on the couch and catch up on your shows. Many a time have I planted my butt down on the couch to wind down and binge watch Supernatural until I caught up. Ahem, maybe even Vampire Diaries or Pretty Little Liars. Guilty pleasures.
3. Take a candlelit bubble bath, and play soft music. Bonus points if it’s a Lush bath and you’re playing classical. Lavender and chamomile will relax you naturally, and they smell amazing! Sometimes when there are other noises going on in my house, I will pop in my Bluetooth ear buds and drown it all out.
4. Have a designated stop time and stick to it! I’m the type of person to not be able to relax until everything is done and perfect. “Done and perfect,” may take hours! Instead, I’ve learned to go easy on myself and let things go (temporarily)
unfinished. Keeping my mental health on point is better than pristine floors.
5. Read before bed. Read throughout the day, too, if you can! Take reading breaks. Read during meals. Just, read! My reading time helps me catch my breath and clear my mind.
6. Foot massages! Get off those tired tootsies and relax on the couch. Get smart about it and grab a electronic foot massager and enjoy a foot massage while you’re cuddling on the couch watching TV. Mmmhmm.
Are you in total relaxation mode yet? Me too.