[Hey! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission for referring you at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! Click here to view my disclosure policy.]
#RealTalk: I struggle with being an adult quite often. It’s not that I can’t, sometimes I just don’t wanna!
I haven’t lived with my parents in going on 11 years. I consider living without my parents “on-the-job training”, because there were a few things I needed to learn myself. These are things you really only pick up from experience, or that thing called listening to your elders. If you want to get ahead, let grandpa school you on adulting and take notes.
Here are a few helpful things I stumbled upon, that almost made me feel like a fully functioning adult:
- You can’t clean porcelain with bleach. Do this instead.
- Don’t put foil in the microwave… or anything metallic at all for that matter.
- Clean your shower, bathtub and toilet regularly before it becomes a huge mess.
- Line your oven with foil so you won’t spend 4 hours cleaning it
- Speaking of taxes, you can print a lot of the forms you need directly from the IRS website.
- Don’t overdo the coffee or soda; you’ll get addicted and caffeine withdrawal migraines are brutal.
- Protect all of your electronics; e-readers, phones, tablets… because it’s really awful when you drop and break them and need to buy new ones! A little prevention goes a long way.
- Payday loans are absolutely NOT WORTH IT.
- As you receive spam emails, click on “unsubscribe” at the bottom. Clean inboxes are the happiest!
- Stay on top of your bills; I don’t care how much you want that pretty little thing. Make sure your bills are paid first!
- Learn how to do basic maintenance on your car. Checking oil, changing wipers, tires, etc.
- Stop, drop, and start a savings account. Right now.
As painful as it is, we’ve got to make our own doctors appointments now and –GASP– go to them all by ourselves! Pro tip: google all of your adulting questions… they’ll usually lead you in the right direction! I’ve googled Texas laws and “How to fix___” so many times throughout the years. Stay far away from Doctor Google, however.
A while ago, I read a book called Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown. It’s a gem! Do you have any awesome tips for the average n00b adult? Tell me in the comments! 😀